An Indian street food which is also a comfort food. Well, in our family, it is also a household food 🙂. Be it the hot summer or humid rainy evenings or the cool winter-y afternoons of Pune, it used to take just a minute or two to decide on a Bhel Puri snack. Not only the weather…There were times when I used to be at my grandparent’s home, back from a 3-hour college test and my G-pa asks me ‘want to get some Bhel for us?’ and that was enough to start an order of 10 Bhel puris for the family, at the nearest but ‘tried and tested’ …’Bhel Waala’ (the street food guy who makes the Bhel puri). This was when everyone was too busy to make it at home. Now, thanks to perfecting the recipe 👏🏻 we rather make it at home! 😊
Also, after years of trying almost every type of Bhel puri in Pune, it is one of the most enduring memories of the fun times with family and friends. Plus, it is tangy, sweet and salty too. 👌🏻
Prep time – 15 mins
Make time – 5 mins
1. Indian Puffed rice
2. Savory snack mix (also called Sev)
3. 1 medium onion (chopped)
4. 1 / 2 cup cilantro (chopped)
5. Roasted peanuts – 2 tbsp
For the tangy chutney (Indian for seasoning mix) – this is a sugar free chutney
1. 1/2 cup tamarind pulp, no water added
2. 1/2 cup agave or brown rice syrup or sweetener of choice
3. 1 tbsp minced ginger
4. 1 tsp salt
Mix all ingredients together in a cup and keep aside
For the green chili chutney
1. 4 medium green chilis, minced
2. 1/2 tsp salt
Mix the chilis and salt in a small bowl and keep aside.
1. Take a large bowl with 2 cups of puffed rice and
2. Add 2 cups savory mix in it
3. Mix in the onion and cilantro.
4. Add the tangy chutney (2 tbsp) and green chili (1 tbsp) to the bowl
5. Add peanuts, Stir in gently until mixed well and this savory, crunchy snack is ready !
I wish for you to like this snack as much as I like making and writing about, this recipe !😊
If you enjoy reading this page and would like to support me in creating more healthful recipes, plus food art and share them with you on an ongoing basis, I am very grateful to you for your support.
Donations can be made here and Thank you 🌿💛🌿very much for your heartfelt generosity!